Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2 simple golden bands

John Mark's toes with our wedding bands

I was named after my paternal grandmother Margaret Elizabeth, she and I were so close. She passed away when I was 15 and ever since then heaven and our hope in the resurrection has meant so much more to me.

Not long after Jay and I got engaged Papa called me one day and I went over to his house. He wanted to know if I had bought Jay a wedding band yet and I told him I had not. He went on to say that he had the wedding band that my Meme had given him and he wanted me to have it to give Jay. He went down to his room to get it and when he came back he had 2 bands.

Meme and Papa got married in November of 1948, they were both 18 at the time. The narrow band he had was the original one that Meme bought for him in 1948. The second band which was wider was the one she bought when the first one got to small. He handed them to me and I looked at them and slid on the narrow one and it fit me perfectly. Jay came up to me that weekend and the wider one fit him perfect.

Those wedding bands mean so much to me, I loved Papa and Meme more than words can say. The memories I have of them are so special and I am so thankful for the legacy they left for me and that I have a piece of them with me forever. A person might look at them as simple gold bands, but to me they are so much more.

6 comments:

Sis Debbie Conley said...

Wow! What a terrific legacy! I am so happy that such special people as you and Bro Jay have such significant and physical tributes to enduring love and commitment.
I was curious--thinking the blog entry was about the rings on the baby's toes--how that photo came to be. That was what I thought the blog entry was going to explain...but I got so much more!

Dianne said...

Beth, I was first "attracted" to you because your husband pastored my long-ago, FIRST church from birth to six years of age...Oak Chapel. When you wrote to me telling me that, I was so touched. We became "friends" and I've loved the window into your life, your world. Now, I see your words in this blog...there's three little "Mama's" whose blogs I subscribe to...yours, Amanda Mizell's, and Dana Hataway's. Three young women who have OLD beliefs and loves that so endear them to me. God. Family. Babies. So enjoyed this. What a gift to wear those bands and, maybe, hand them on down to your child, and so on. Love you.

Dianne said...

Beth, I was first "attracted" to you because your husband pastored my long-ago, FIRST church from birth to six years of age...Oak Chapel. When you wrote to me telling me that, I was so touched. We became "friends" and I've loved the window into your life, your world. Now, I see your words in this blog...there's three little "Mama's" whose blogs I subscribe to...yours, Amanda Mizell's, and Dana Hataway's. Three young women who have OLD beliefs and loves that so endear them to me. God. Family. Babies. So enjoyed this. What a gift to wear those bands and, maybe, hand them on down to your child, and so on. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Love this sweetheart! Dad

AIMA said...

What a special story! My grandfather recently gave me my grandmother's wedding ring, and when I look at it, it makes her memory so much more vivid. Thanks for sharing!

qifei2012 said...

The concept Is important to undertake your analysis with regards to several sporting activities teachers in the community ahead of obtaining you to definitely rely on upcoming workout Wholesale p90x p90x. Take time to look into the advantages and disadvantages of every instructor so they really are going to be baffled along with tricked straight to thinking false remarks to be a special building up fitness instructor that would certainly not give good results somebody dealt with 90 day workout. Wholesale p90x